What is mold?-Mold is a type of fungus. There are thousands of varieties of mold, but they all survive by digesting organic matter, and reproduce by forming spores. These spores break off from an existing colony and land on other surfaces, forming new colonies. Mold needs both food and water to survive; since molds can digest most things, limiting its access to water is the most important variable in controlling indoor growth. Sometimes the source of water that initiated a mold issue is known to a home owner, such as a burst pipe or a leaking roof. Too often we see that the repairs have been made to stop the leak, but the water was allowed to infiltrate porous materials in the home, allowing mold to begin growing. This is why it is very important to let us help you thoroughly remove all water, as soon as possible, after a flood or other water disaster. It is much better to prevent the mold in the first place.
Often, the water source is more difficult to identify. It may be a small leak in a pipe, uncontrolled humidity in the air, or slow seepage through foundation walls. Our trained professionals will help you assess the source and address the problem so that mold will not return to your space.
How does mold affect my home?-All molds are dangerous to your home. According to the Journal of Property Management, a single square inch of drywall can contain between one and ten million mold spores. Because molds literally consume the materials they grow on, serious and permanent damage to those materials is guaranteed if mold is allowed to continue growing and producing new colonies.
How can I tell if my home has the kind of mold that can make my family sick?
-If you suspect that someone in your home is ill due to an environmental factor, it is best to visit your doctor. Many of the health effects and symptoms of mold exposure are still being studied. The Environmental Protection Agency has this to say:
“ Some molds, such as Aspergillus versicolor and Stachybotrys atra (chartarum), are known to produce potent toxins under certain circumstances. Although some mycotoxins are well known to affect humans and have been shown to be responsible for human health effects, for many mycotoxins, little information is available, and in some cases research is ongoing. For example, some strains of Stachybotrys atra can produce one or more potent toxins. Molds can produce toxic substances called mycotoxins…More than 200 mycotoxins have been identified from common molds, and many more remain to be identified. Some of the molds that are known to produce mycotoxins are commonly found in moisture-damaged buildings. Exposure pathways for mycotoxins can include inhalation, ingestion, or skin contact…When moisture problems occur and mold growth results, building occupants may begin to report odors and a variety of health problems, such as headaches, breathing difficulties, skin irritation, allergic reactions, and aggravation of asthma symptoms; all of these symptoms could potentially be associated with mold exposure.
All molds have the potential to cause health effects. Molds produce allergens, irritants, and in some cases, toxins that may cause reactions in humans. The types and severity of symptoms depend, in part, on the types of mold present, the extent of an individual's exposure, the ages of the individuals, and their existing sensitivities or allergies.”
Why does it seem that mold is a bigger problem now than in the past?
-In an effort to build increasingly energy efficient buildings, we have been sealing up our homes more and more tightly. This saves money on heating and cooling and lessens our energy consumption. The downside though is that our homes have less breathability than ever before. We are trapping in molds and other contaminates that may be harmful to us.